Notes on Cleaning
* At the end of the cooking day clean the pots, pans,
tables, countertops, floors, used cups and utensils, and dirty buckets.
* For the dishes use dish soap and a clean sponge. Check for food residue
and rinse thoroughly as most soap is toxic.
* Buy organic soap when you can afford it.
* Be sure compost goes off to a pile or appropriate holding place (see
* Take/send leftover food to the central refrigerator, to another event
or organization, or to the next kitchen.
* Rinse all recycled cups and utensils in bleach water (one full cap per
bucket of water) and rinse with water after.
* After all this, put non-plastic things in a large pot of boiling H2O
to truly sterilize them.
Note: We must leave each kitchen cleaner than
we found it. In most kitchens we can return to clean after the meal, but
towards the end of the shift people get a little spacey for various reasons.
It is important, therefore, to clean as you go, as the day is much easier