Nifty Radical Projects
Often forming a group around Food Not Bombs principles creates a nexus of creative, antiauthoritarian people. If these organizations exist in your community, give them your support! If they don't, help get them started!
* Critical Mass. Existing in over 100 cities, a monthly
(at least) mass bicycle ride, wandering around and about for miles, filling
up the road, advocating more bicycle friendly city-planning, and often
creating its own bicycle friendly traffic laws as it goes along.
* Infoshops/Autonomous Zones. A volunteer run storefront distributing anti- authoritarian, anarchist, and radical literature, T-shirts, stickers, etc. A community resource and base of action
* Copwatch. In a democratic country you allegedly have the right to nonviolently observe the police to ensure accountability to the community. Exercising this right is scary at first, but invaluable in the long run. Organize a group and do it.
* Free Radio. Even though the Federal Communications Commission is in bed with corporate broadcasters and periodically shuts down microradio stations, they can't shut'em all down. Your community might already one. If not, get on the air and spout your music and political beliefs.
* Free School. Pass your knowledge around; each one, teach one. Create a network of classes and workshops.
* Newspapers. Shouldn't every community have its own radical newspaper?
* Community Gardens. It's surprising how, when you start gardening on vacant land and it looks nice, no one complains about property and such for a while. Organize to share tools and resources between guerilla plots and backyard gardens.
* Reclaim the Streets. Liberate public space!
* Homes Not Jails. Squatting isn't just for punks and junkies! A solid organization can help open housing for homeless people and others in need of very affordable shelter.
* Anti-Racist Action. A growing network, ARA confronts the Klan, neo-Nazis and other elements of the organized extreme right, and educates and empowers white working class, youth against racism.